STRENGTHENING COMMUNITY IS OUR CAUSE
The La Porte County Family YMCA is a leading nonprofit for youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. We are a powerful association of men, woman and children of all ages and from all walks of life joined together by a shared passion: to strengthen the foundations of our community.
With a commitment to nurturing the potential of kids, promoting healthy living and fostering a sense of social responsibility. Our Y ensures that everyone, regardless of age, income or background, has the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive. To do our important work, our Y relies on support from members, donors, volunteers and community leaders.
Our Y believes that lasting personal and social change can only come about when we all work together to invest in our kids, our health and our community. Every day our impact is felt when a mentor inspires a child, when an individual makes a healthy choice and when the community comes together for the common good.
Our Y is, and always will be, dedicated to building healthy, confident, connected and secure children, adults, families and communities. There is no other nonprofit quite like the Y. Be a part of a cause committed to moving people and communities forward.
Join Our Mailing List!
The Y provides opportunities for learning lifesaving skills because we truly are in this together, and together we can harness knowledge and our individual strengths to bring about a safer environment around us. We believe in providing training, resources and support to empower our neighbors to make change, overcome obstacles and contribute to a safer, healthier, happier community so that everyone has the chance to learn, grow and thrive.
CPR/AED & Basic First Aid Class (For Ages 16 & Up)
Be a part of something more, and learn how to save lives! We are offering certification and recertification training through ASHI, American Safety & Health Institute. The training combines the convenience of online learning with a practical skill session in order to meet both knowledge and skills objectives. Students must successfully complete both online and hands-on skills portion to receive a certification. An email address must be provided with payment to receive the link to begin the online courses. Online sessions must be completed before you take the hands-on skills portion.
Member: $50 Non-member: $80
Red Cross Lifesaving Course (For Ages 15 & Up)
The purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over. Please call Aquatics Director Patrick Duffy at (219) 325-9622 or visit the Membership Service desk to register.
Fees: $175 Members / $200 Non-Members
Fee includes: American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED (2 years), use of lifeguarding manual and personal CPR rescue mask.
Before enrolling in the course, individuals must complete the following pre-requisites:
1. Must be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of this course.
2. Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
3. Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
4. Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object. Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps
(Limit 10 Participants)
CLASSES ARE SCHEDULED BASED ON DEMAND.